Naloxone- Narcan- Reverses the effects of an overdose from heroin or any opioid. This medication can be purchased from a local pharmacy. A new Connecticut state law lets pharmacists prescribe Narcan. A family member can administer it, and it is wise to have it on hand if you have a family member addicted to opiates. For more information on Narcan, visit:

Vivitrol- Can be administered by a medical professional to stop the cravings for opiates when someone is in recovery. It is also used to treat alcohol dependence. Non-addictive. Once a month injection. Contact the Midwestern Connecticut Council of Alcoholism at 203-792-4515.

Methadone- Used to treat pain and as maintenance therapy or to help detox someone from opiate dependence.. In pill or liquid form, it can be addictive. Call 800-755-9603 to find the nearest Methadone clinic.

Suboxone- Used to treat opiate addiction. It contains a combination of buprenorphine and naloxone. Buprenorphine is an opioid medication. Naloxone blocks the effects of the opioid drug. Only a doctor can prescribe suboxone. It can be addictive but generally is reported to be less addictive than Methadone. Go to to find the doctor locator service.

Scroll to Top